Wednesday, December 12, 2007

2004 Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve

Domaine Serene Pinot Noir Evenstad Reserve

Willamette Valley, Oregon
Pinot Noir
2004

Wow. One word may be enough. Domaine Serene's Evenstad Reserve from the Willamette Valley never fails to impress, and this year's offering is no exception.

The wine comes from a blend of Wadenswil, Dijon and Pommard Pinot Noir clones. It is sourced from vineyards in the Eola Hills and Dundee Hills, and despite my attention to the terroir of Oregon, I have difficulty distinguishing between wines sourced from either of these two areas. The result to me always seems to me to be pure red cherry fruits in either case; perhaps the fruit is a little darker (i.e., a little more bluberry and/or raspberry) in the Dundee Hills.

Domaine Serene's wines to me have always mimicked the character of another outstanding Oregon Winery, Archery Summit, with their Oriental Spice Box and Red Cherry aromas.

"Notes of cloves and sweet tobacco with red and to a lesser extent black cherries on the nose. This year's Evenstad Reserve is more forward than others in the past. Light-bodied with perfect balance. Thrillingly aromatic and silky. Outstanding."

The Evenstad is on its way to Mio very shortly and, although I didn't take notes, I was also enthusiastic about the Domaine Serene Yamhill Cuvee - a wine I have alread added to our list.

Bravo!

No comments: